Friday 15 April 2011

Spring

Japan is famous for its cherry blossoms (sakura).

For the last four days in a row, I have been to four different sakura-viewing parties (花見, hanami, literally "flower watching") in the same place. My mother, on hearing this, responded with a sarcastic comment about the wild life of teenagers these days, so I felt it was important to explain the concept of hanami to those who are less in the know.

In Japan, the sakura obviously have a massive significance, although exactly what, I'd have to look into. Every year they all come out at almost exactly the same time; in fact, a friend told me that on our campus, the sakura trees along one particular road purposely all have the same DNA, and therefore flower at exactly the same time every year. So, couples, friends, families and other groups go to sit among the trees and admire their beauty.

I got the idea, from a rather rambling teacher, that traditionally hanami is quiet reflection, revelling in the beauty of nature, poem writing, that kind of thing. Nowadays, however, at least among young people, it usually involves a lot of alcohol, snacks and general merriment. I say among young people, but today while we were sitting there, a group of middle-aged men came and set up a barbeque right underneath a sign which said "Barbeques prohibited".

So I hope that clears things up for my mum.



2 comments:

  1. Love the last sentence!

    I've recently moved house and now have an apple blossom and a cherry blossom tree in my garden... heavenly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly! Middle-aged people! SO badly behaved.

    Thanks for the explanation. I approve of anything that inspires poem writing.

    Ha ha! The word verification was SILLY.

    ReplyDelete